Job Summary: The Center for Quantitative Sciences, Department of Biostatistics, at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is seeking a statistical/bioinformatics analyst who will independently and/or as member of a research team contribute to multiple omics research projects. The research seeks to identify the gene signatures associated with complex diseases, with emphases on colorectal cancer and Crohn's disease.
Effective communication skills as well as efficient data administration and bioinformatics analysis competencies are critical to the success of this position because they will be used in establishing procedures, writing specifications, programming, documenting and analyzing data, and preparing manuscripts for presentation and publication.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the following:
* Develop and apply bioinformatics tools to process, analyze, and interpret high throughput datasets, including DNA-seq, RNA-seq, ChIP-seq and single cell RNA-seq. * Apply biological and statistical knowledge to draw rigorous, actionable conclusions form complex data sets. * Communicate findings internally and externally. * Collaborate with groups across the institution to support research projects. * Participate in the preparation of written reports and oral presentations summarizing data analysis results, including detailed description of bioinformatics methods, detailed analysis of results, and synthesis of conclusions from summary tables. * Take initiative to acquire new bioinformatics, statistical or programming skills as needed.
Minimum Qualifications : This position requires a master's degree in bioinformatics, biostatistics, data sciences or a closely related field. A minimum of one year experience in one of these fields is strongly preferred.
Preferred experience and skills: * Proficient with R or python, and experience in the Unix/Linux environments. * Proficiency in creating, modifying, and maintaining Unix scripts (shell/perl/python) to perform database management and analysis in parallel. * Familiarity with bioinformatics software packages, such as Bioconductor, GSEA, samtools, etc.
Additional Information : This is a full-time position. Salary is dependent upon education and experience.
Department Summary :
The mission of the Vanderbilt Center for Quantitative Sciences (CQS) is to coordinate and integrate the work of Vanderbilt University and Medical Center quantitative scientists across the disciplines of biostatistics, bioinformatics, biomathematics, computational biology, biomedical engineering, and other related fields, with the end goal of building bridges and streamlining quantitative collaboration for improved biomedical research. CQS members have expertise in basic science as well as clinical/translational studies, with a particular interest in high-dimensional data, including proteomic, genomic, lipidomic, and metabolomic research. The center is available to all university and medical center investigators, offering collaborative support spanning traditional statistical inputs (e.g., experimental design, sample size determination, power analysis, conventional data analysis and results interpretation), to novel statistical and bioinformatic approaches for modern technologies (e.g., advanced sample size determination for next-generation sequencing, multivariate modeling for high-dimensional data), to systems and computational biology approaches for asking questions and modeling results. For more information, please visit https://www.vumc.org/cqs/about-cqs
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
VUMC Recent Accomplishments :
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest
Internal Number: 1912545
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.