The Walsh Lab translates Healthcare Data to Action through Machine Learning and Decision Support for vulnerable populations like those with suicidality and mental illness. A core aspect of this position will be to independently design and carry out sophisticated data analyses and to contribute to algorithm development and validation on a number of active projects.
Our research focuses on the application of data science to complex healthcare data to enable mental, behavioral, and population health. Our collaborators are internists, psychiatrists, psychologists, engineers, epidemiologists, statisticians, community case managers, mobile crisis teams, and more.
We translate our predictive algorithms through informatics and implementation science to the point-of-care. We have partnered with other research teams around the world to glean insights from these complex data to predict and prevent self-harm and to improve mental health.
- Independently oversee research projects and perform near to totally independent research
- Supervise, plan, design and implement research projects
-Establish highly complex protocol(s); define data collection, evaluation and analysis procedures
-Contribute to research so as to merit serving as author or co-author on research publications, etc.
-Assists PI in manuscript preparation for scientific journals
-Assist principal investigator in writing research grants and contract proposals
-Present research findings as needed
-Develop reports of results, graphs, charts, tables, etc. of research findings
-Supervise writing, reviewing and editing of various materials for publication
-Provide technical guidance to students, post-doctoral fellows and faculty as required
-Mentor and teach graduate students, junior staff and post-doctoral fellows in developing their projects and on specific techniques and protocols as required
-Make recommendations to principal investigator regarding needs for research projects
-Maintain open communication between department and others
-Contact as required with sponsoring agencies and/or cooperating facilities, collaborating professionals and vendors
Preferred experience with and knowledge of:
* Relational databases (MySQL, Postgres, etc.)
* Python/R programming languages
* Applied predictive modeling on healthcare data
* Use of GitHub
* A machine learning background - biostatistical experience is also preferred
* Collaborative, friendly, able to thrive in a busy, well-funded lab with multiple high impact projects in parallel
* Interest in behavioral and mental health
* Interest in design and implementation science
* Bachelors (or equivalent experience) and 2 years experience (** Preferred Education: Strong candidates will have an advanced degree in informatics, computer science or engineering, or similar background in a quantitative / computational field and experience with clinical data. **)
* Day Shift/Exempt Position
About the Department:
* The mission of the Vanderbilt Department of Biomedical informatics has complementary themes that include education, research, service, and a commitment to our colleagues in our own institution and around the world.
* The Educational Mission is to educate undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate trainees in the theory and practice of biomedical informatics.
* The Research and Service Mission is to develop and evaluate innovative technologies for the storage, retrieval, dissemination, and application of biomedical knowledge, in order to support clinical practice, biomedical research, life-long learning, and administration and as a result, to contribute to the professional body of knowledge in the field of biomedical informatics.
* The Professional and Ethical Mission is to maintain cooperation and collegiality with all those who learn and work with us locally, nationally, and internationally; and, to develop and disseminate ethical and professional standards for the conduct of biomedical informatics research and for the use and evaluation of health care informatics applications.
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Internal Number: 2003185
About Vanderbilt Health
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.