Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory. This particular position will be in the area of translational microbiology, with efforts both in diagnostic and basic research laboratory environments. Efforts will be in support of the development of microbial biobank, as well as downstream research that stems from these biobanking activities. Routine activities will include culturing of organisms (bacteria, fungi); banking of these and other specimens; preparation of microbiology and molecular biology reagents; and assisting other lab members in the design and execution of experiments. Significant opportunities will exist for conducting research and participate in the preparation and publication of data.
The Department of Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology at Vanderbilt has a long and rich history of excellence in teaching, clinical service, and research. Our collaborative efforts in personalized medicine in cancer, pharmacogenomics and the creation of Diagnostic Management Teams are at the "leading edge" of a revolution in the practice of pathology. The department lives and breathes our mantra that we are a "laboratory of the whole" for defining the future of pathology. We are committed to taking a leadership role in both basic and translational research in these areas of focus
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
* Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
* Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
* Compile and communicate results to supervisor
* Follow University safety protocols (may include use of biohazards, combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
* Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
* Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
* May include centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter,
electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
* Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
* Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in a seated position
* Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
* Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
* Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
* Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
* Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
* Occasional: Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
* Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
* Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands.
* Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
* Occasional: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
* Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.
* Occasional: Chemicals and Gasses: Medications, cleaning chemicals, oxygen, other medical gases used in the work area.
* Occasional: Pathogens: Risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and other contagious illnesses.
Occasional: Radiation: May be exposed to occupational radiation, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Radiation Safety Program which includes training, use of personal protective equipment with lead shielding, and personal dose monitoring.
* Occasional: Climate: Ability to withstand exposure to atmospheric extremes including heat, cold, humidity, and barometric pressure changes.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.